Why use Social Media? And how?
To download this summary, click here.
Introduction: Ryan Frank talks about the importance of churches using social media as part of their ministry.
Churches need to be using social media because it’s where people “live.”
- Make a good first impression.
- Help people get to know the church and the pastor.
- Publish content; share sermons.
- It’s cost effective.
Platform: the technology or tool (Facebook, website, email) that gives you a place to communicate
Popular social platforms
To start . . .
- Where are we as a ministry?
- Where do we want to be?
- What do we have to do to get there?
For conversation: Facebook group
For information: Facebook page
Pastor share thoughts: Twitter
Behind the scenes: Instagram, Snapchat
How to start:
- Don’t overthink it; just start
- Ask kids for help
- Create a summer internship for someone to get it off the ground for you
- Monitor it; measure it to see if it’s accomplishing your goal
- Make adjustments
Helping the person in charge:
- Spend time, very hands-on in the beginning to be clear the person understands (set expectations)
- Back off a little
- Check in less frequently as you realize the person is doing well
Consider recruiting a team to divide the duties, or put a small amount of money aside for someone to work on this.
Add value for people.
- How is my church using social media?
- How should my church be using social media?
- What’s our next step?
- Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World by Michael Hyatt
- Find another church that is using social media well and learn from that church.