A discussion about youth—teenagers—and how their youth pastors and volunteer youth leaders can help them face their feelings of being overwhelmed and anxious.
To download this summary, click here.
Guests: Jessica Bordeleau and Dr. Rick Marrs. Jessica has worked with youth and young adults for over 15 years in local and national capacities. She currently serves as a digital media producer and is the author of CTA’s Just Breathe book. Rick has been doing counseling and soul care work for over 40 years as a professor, counselor, licensed psychologist, pastor, and author.
Introduction: A discussion about youth—teenagers—and how their youth pastors and volunteer youth leaders can help them face their feelings of being overwhelmed and anxious.
- Kinds of stress teenagers face
- Common teen stressors—identity, physical changes, new schools, etc.
- External pressures—sports teams, teachers, parents, friends, employers, etc.
- How to tell when a kid needs help with anxiety and hopelessness
- Regular vs clinical anxiety
- If it’s crippling—staying in bed, can’t do what he or she used to—seek professional help
- Doubts about faith, seek professional help with a Christian counselor
- Use resources like CTA’s Just Breathe
- How to help those who do need help
- Visit counselors in your area, get to know them, so your referral is solid
- Seeing a counselor for your mental health is like seeing a dentist or doctor for your physical health
- Romans 8—we won’t ever rid our lives of stress, but we can mitigate it with help
- Can’t just pray this away—God works through other people like counselors!
- Can use CTA’s Just Breathe book as a resource
- Points teens to Jesus
- Reinforces identity as God’s child
- Encouragement for youth leaders
- Meet youth where they are—put everything in God’s hands
- Be open and honest about counseling and remove the stigma
- Present Scripture as something God is doing for you, not just another task
- Listen to the youth—eventually they’ll open up
- Jesus has lived in our world—and he overcame it, which he can help them do too!
- Care for yourself—your well-being is more important than what’s on your schedule
- Just Breathe: Devotions for Overwhelmed Youth as a paperback at ctainc.com
- Just Breathe: Devotions for Overwhelmed Youth as an e-book on Amazon
- A Christian Guide to Mental Illness, Volume 1 by Stephen Saunders
- A Christian Guide to Mental Illness, Volume 2 by Stephen Saunders
- Christian Concepts for Care: Understanding and Helping People with Mental Issues by David J. Ludwig and Mary R. Jacob
- Making Christian Counseling More Christ Centered by Rick Marrs