Use the Acts 1:8 model to think about your church's involvement in missions.
To download this summary, click here.
Introduction: What does it mean to be an Acts 1:8 church? And how do you become one? This mission-focused mindset comes directly from Jesus.
- [Jesus said,] you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth (Acts 1:8 ESV).
- Being an Acts 1:8 church brings a lot of excitement, along with certain expectations. Just like the disciples probably thought, your church members may be saying, “We’re going to do what?!”
- Becoming this kind of church is not an impossible task that God has given us to accomplish on our own. It’s a challenge, of course, but God promises to work in you and through you.
- An Acts 1:8 church is a church that obediently follows the commands of Jesus, being empowered by the Holy Spirit.
- It’s a mission perspective. This means intentionally going away from an inward focus.
- Churches should appoint a champion “point person” to lead the transition. This can be a pastor or a lay person.
- Global Focus provides helpful materials and a person to be your resource for building a mission-focused church.
- Many church members may be thinking, “What can the church do for the church?” Look beyond this question!
- Your “Jerusalem” starts on the outside of your church doors. Every Christian is a missionary!
- Consider hosting a global-missions conference. This type of event is totally scalable. The goal is to get missionaries to engage your people with their work and stories from the field.
- We get the overall structure of an Acts 1:8 church directly from Jesus.
- It involves four parts: Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and the end of the earth.
- Be intentional in picking your mission fields.
- Put people in areas they are passionate about.
- Create leadership teams and look for other resources.
- What is your church currently doing in the local or global mission field?
- Who in your church has a heart for missions? Try to name five people.
- Global Focus
- Child Evangelism Fellowship
- Denominational mission boards