Why use Instagram? And how?
To download this summary, click here.
Introduction: Even though Instagram got its start nine years ago, it is still growing in popularity today. How can churches best leverage this ever-expanding social media platform?
- Facebook and Instagram were created as totally separate entities. Facebook was for text-orientated posts and Instagram was for photographs. However, Facebook now owns Instagram. The line of difference between the two is blurring.
- Instagram is dominated by younger users. Facebook tends to be for older users and has more users than Instagram.
- What church segments benefit most from using Instagram?
- It’s about engagement—having regular touchpoints with people.
- Instagram enables you to expand your reach and provides you with more opportunity to get your message out.
- Instagram options
- Post pictures.
- Post videos.
- Use Instagram live
- Create content for Instagram TV (videos up to an hour)
- Tell stories (Instagram stories, 15-second segments).
- Take people “behind the scenes.”
- Connect with people on their mobile devices.
- How to learn and excel on Instagram
- Follow and learn from other people.
- Browse through ministry-related Instagram accounts. What are they doing? What’s working? How are they adding value for their followers?
- Try to replicate this.
- Just start! Be consistent and learn along the way.
- If you don’t have an Instagram account for your ministry, what’s holding you back?
- If you currently have an Instagram account, how could you work to maximize your impact?