An Easy-Peasy Preschool Craft
Preschool teachers are always on the lookout for fun and easy crafts. This craft fits the bill! It’s a “smudge cross” and it will remind little ones of Jesus’ glorious resurrection on Easter!
What you’ll need:
- White cardstock, one piece for each child
- Painter’s tape
- Scissors (for adult use only!)
- Oil pastels
- Watercolor paint and brushes
- Wipes or paper towels for easy cleanup
What you’ll do:
- Tear off two pieces of painter’s tape and help each child apply them to the cardstock in a cross shape.
- Tell the children to make small marks on the tape all the way around the cross using various colors of oil pastels.
- Then, the children should use their fingers to smudge the oil pastel marks from the tape out toward the edge of the cardstock. This will produce a sunburst effect around the cross.
- Children should paint the rest of the cardstock with watercolors. They may want to paint green toward the bottom for grass and blue toward the top for sky. The tape and oil pastels will resist the watercolor.
- Carefully remove the painter’s tape to reveal a white cross in the center of a colorful scene!
When children are done working, gather together and say, Jesus died on the cross to bring us forgiveness for the bad things we do. His disciples were gloomy and sad because Jesus was dead. But Jesus didn’t stay dead! Jesus rose on Easter and just like the happy colors you used in your art, we are happy that Jesus lives and loves us!
You are welcome to copy this article for one-time use when you include this credit line and receive no monetary benefit from it: © 2020 CTA, Inc. Used with permission.