By Tim Wesemann
Let’s start the New Year off right—with smiles created by our Savior through his gift of humor! We serve a gracious and good God. What a joy! As you serve the Lord and his people with a smile, surely you’ll see smiles pop up on the faces around you! Serve the Lord with joy! And as you do, enjoy these smile-makers.
Epiphany Wisdom for Wise Men, Women, and Children
A mother gathered her three young children around their Christmas nativity and read the story of the Wise Men who traveled to worship the Christ Child. Mom told the children that the Wise Men brought gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
After the story, her oldest son observed, “You know, Mom, a Wise Woman would have brought diapers.”
You can tell it might be a long sermon if . . .
- a case of bottled water sits beside the pulpit in a cooler;
- your pastor brought a sack lunch into the pulpit;
- the bulletin insert includes pizza-delivery menus;
- the assistant pastor brought his own recliner to sit in;
- your pastor keeps glancing at the calendar instead of his watch; or
- he includes a 10-minute intermission in his message.
The Constructive Criticism is Flying
A pastor sat down with his wife for lunch one Sunday after church. He was surprised she hadn’t commented on the service. Finally, he asked outright, “How do you think things went today?”
“Well,” she replied tactfully, “the music was quite meaningful, the Scripture readings encouraged me, and I had a lot of fun visiting with people after church.”
The pastor chimed in, “I didn’t feel like the sermon ever really got off the ground. What do you think?”
His wife looked him in the eye and said, “Well, Dear, . . . it sure did taxi long enough!”
Comments Overheard on Noah’s Ark
- Did anyone think about bringing a couple of umbrellas?
- Hey, there are more than two flies in here!
- Who forgot to put a shovel onboard?
- Help! I need some Pepto for the elephants, QUICK!
- No Ham, you cannot eat the pig!
- DO NOT pull this plug out!
- Nice doggie!
- Are we there yet?
You are welcome to copy this article for one-time use when you include this credit line and receive no monetary benefit from it: © 2020 CTA, Inc. Used with permission.
Leave a comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *