Smiles as You Serve
Compiled by Tim Wesemann
Psalm 137 describes the deep sadness and despair of God’s people living exiled in Babylon. They didn’t have enough joy to play their music of praise. They hung their harps in the trees, silenced by sadness. But Psalm 126 shares how the Lord brought them joy, smiles, and laughter as they returned to Jerusalem. No more harps in the trees - just tremendous joy!
When the LORD restored the fortunes of Zion, we were like those who dream. Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with shouts of joy; then they said among the nations, “The LORD has done great things for them.” The LORD has done great things for us; we are glad.
Psalm 126: 1 - 3 ESV
If you’re harping on sadness today, pray that the Holy Spirit would bring you the joy of the Lord. Give thanks as you discover the joy of God’s presence and delight in the free gift of salvation won for us by his Son, Jesus. You can also give thanks for simple smiles and groan-worthy puns - including the following lines:
Harping on Funny and Punny Lines
- I’m seeing a doctor who helps sad people. He’s a sighcologist.
- When a musician dies, you should send the family a symphony card.
- I'm tired of having insomnia.
- I'm thinking of starting a club for insomniacs. Anyone else up for it?
- My landscaper is very easy to get a lawn with.
- I used to have a fear of speed bumps . . . but I slowly got over it.
- Surely you heard about the coffee spill in Paris. It was all over the French press.
- I tell everyone that I can make myself invisible, but no one believes me. Maybe I didn’t make myself clear.
- Our neighbor’s girlfriend is leaving him because she says he’s a bad mime. It must have been something he said.
- When my friend told me to stop impersonating a flamingo I had to put my foot down.
- My neighbor installed an invisible dog fence around his yard. He explained how it worked, but I just don’t see it.
- My environmentalist sister rides her bike 20 miles every morning and 20 more in the evening. She knows the importance of recycling.
- I got a great price on a set of tires. The store had a huge blowout sale.
- In mime class the student asked if it was okay to talk. The instructor replied, "That goes without saying."
- My mail carrier said she was going on vacation to Spain. I asked her if she was going to Parcelona. She got a S-pained look on her face. Maybe it was my delivery.
- I just bought a dog that can perform magic tricks. It’s a Labracadabrador.
- This morning a clown opened the door for me. What a nice jester.