Smiles as You Serve
Smiles as You Serve
Compiled by Tim Wesemann
Are you wearing a smile today?
God’s Word is a great source for Savior-created smiles! Sometimes it takes only one line—a few short words of encouragement from Scripture—to bring on a smile. One line may overflow with promises coming from the heart of our heavenly Father and his Son, our Savior, Jesus Christ. One line can encourage our faith and our daily walk with Jesus. One line can cause a smile to break out across our face and bring joy that flows throughout our entire day.
A few of examples of those scriptural one-liners:
- God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1 ESV
- My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.2 Corinthians 12:9 ESV
- If God is for us, who can be against us?Romans 8:31 ESV
- [Jesus said,] Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. John 14:27 ESV
- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 ESV
The Lord has entrusted us with the gift of words to communicate. Sometimes, by playing with words, you’ll find smiles. No, it’s not quite like the joy like that the Lord gives, but it’s a blessing nonetheless. Even if they’re on a completely different level than the one-liners of Scripture, I hope you’ll enjoy the collection below. Have some “pun” with them and I pray a smile shows up on your face.
- A book fell on my head today and I have only my shelf to blame.
- I put Nutella spread on salmon and got salmonella.
- The man who stole my diary has died. My thoughts are with his family.
- A man came home to find all his lamps were stolen. He was delighted.
- I went shopping for cherries and microphones the other day: bought a bing, bought a boom.
- I Googled “cigarette lighter” and got 11,600,000 matches.
- I just bought a thesaurus, but when I got home I discovered that all the pages were blank. I do not have the words to describe how frustrated I am right now.
- A truck loaded with Vicks VapoRub ointment crashed and overturned on the highway. The good news is there won’t be any congestion for at least twenty-four hours.
- After he installs the new granite surfaces in your kitchen, does the cabinetmaker hand you a counter fit bill?
- I'm a big fan of wind turbines.
- My dentist wanted to take X-rays. She calls them tooth pics.
- I have a chicken-proof lawn. It's impeccable.
- You know what makes my day? The rotation of Earth.
Don’t suppress your smile! Let it show as you serve the Lord and his people with joy this month!